Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Persistence: The Ultimate Virtue?

Failure cannot compete with persistence. It gets weak at the knees and all jealous whenever it is faced with persistence. Failure likes to control people, convince them to not bother, to give up, to stop believing. We know better.

I have been pushing hard for a long time to be able to launch businesses, be successful socially, and have a strong physique. It's taken me 6 years to get the kind of results I wanted when I started out and along the way I admit at times I felt it was impossible. Now I'm over the first hurdle, I have a plan and its starting to fall into place. To get this far took one thing persistence, and being impervious to discussion. "Is that all there is to life?" some will say, others "I just couldn't be arsed with that"... They do not know the secret of persistence.

Keep looking, keep trying new avenues, even when you think there is no possible way to do something, and what you have is a complete mess. Google every possible combination of your problem. You will find the light, and will get that little bit further. It reminds me of watching downloads on a 56k modem. Slow, agonizing, but every gain even small is a victory. The design of one of my sites just wouldn't work, and I couldn't for the life in me think how I could make it function and still look good. I spent 3 hours searching the web for the right code and then suddenly... One copy and paste and BOOM! Its beautiful again. Next task? Get the site working in IE... stupid browser.

Lesson for the day? Every day you have a hurdle to overcome, and when you do, there will be another waiting for you. Progress is having the desire to keep going even when you want to rest from the last hurdle.

0 comments: