Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Practice makes... Boredom!

Practice makes boredom, results make excitement. Therein lies a nasty catch 22. In order to get results often you have to practice, or do you? Something strange I have observed is that when you throw yourself in the deep end and just "have a go" you will often surprise yourself with how well you perform. Yet there are many things in life you simply cannot achieve without some form of practice. My personal solution is to find a middle ground. Any form of practice where I'm doing the same thing over and over frustrates me. Yet a general pattern of activity where I can be creative is something I love to practice.

Take web development. Basically there are three or four main ways to make a website, beyond that everything is up to you. I adore coming up with a new design, giving birth to the latest creation and being lit by its awesome stature. I despise testing it for bugs, fixing broken links and checking for spelling errors. I'm an ideas guy, I'm built to inspire others and create. I can take an idea and turn it into 10x the idea in seconds. Implementation is best left to someone else.

The same is true socially, with practice you improve. You can do the same thing literally word for word, time and time again but therein you loose the golden goose (and the golden goose is beautiful). Instead I find seeing what you can come up with, and then reusing common conversations when things stall with new people, or potential business partners will help build a good level of rapport. In short, I think for me personally, trial and error is far better than pure practice.

1 comments:

Harlequin said...

The time we take to absorb knowledge always pays off. As stifling as it can be, the rewards for studying are often immense. It doesn't just have to be seduction. I haven't yet read the 48 Laws of Power. I regret this.

At least I only regret the things I haven't done.

I have more time on my hands lately. It's time to raise the game.